10 things you should never say to a pregnant woman:Posted: June 30, 2008
(especially if a 9 month pregnant woman)
I write this mostly as a reminder to myself later of things I will not say to another girl who is pregnant.
10. “That’s funny…I think your nose has gotten wider”
9. In response to I feel sick, my back hurts, my hips hurt, ect … “I’m sure that’s normal” -Mark only said that once!
8. “How much weight have you gained?”
7. In the early months… “well your not ‘that’ pregnant” – what? how does that work?
6. … “I had the worst labor and delivery….let me tell you about it…”
5. “Did you know sometimes epidural s don’t work?”
4. “What if your baby is a hermaphrodite?” – who wants to think about that?
3. ” What if your baby really isn’t a boy? What if the sonogram was wrong…wouldn’t that be funny? – NO! You know what any comment starting with “What if” is off limits!
2. “Big people have big babies” … and yes my doctor said that to me… I will spare you the comments that went through my head after that one!
And the #1 thing not to say to a pregnant woman….ESPECIALLY a 9 month, due any day pregnant woman (hint hint : ) …. “How far along are you? Oh…you still have weeeeks to go… in fact I was 8 days late with my first one… first babies never come on time…. oh yeah…. you have a while!” – to someone who is pregnant all they hear is… “You are going to be pregnant forever… I hope you enjoy not sleeping… needing a crane to get you out of bed… going to the bathroom every 10 minutes….not being able to see of feel your ankles….only being able to wear one pair of shoes…. having random contractions that add up to nothing… and feeling as big as a Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade balloon … because you have weeeeeks and weeeeeks more of it!”
If you are pregnant or have been I know you understand! : )