Honesty from a New MomPosted: July 31, 2008
So it is day 22 in to motherhood for me…. I guess I could count pregnancy… ugh no …. its not the same. Let me just say I have worked with kids all my life and nothing could have truly prepared me for this new season in my life. As I said before…. we really did not understand what people meant when they said “your life is about to change”.
Here are some “honest thoughts” ( bullet points are about all my brain can composite at this point for a blog : ) ….
– my hormonal “issues” were a breeze during pregnancy compared the first couple weeks after the baby got here!
– Time is now just a continual feeding clock… I am sorry but I am looking forward to solid food : )
– We had no idea how much Trey would affect our marriage! The hardest part about parenting is finding a balance and time for us.
– I am struggling with stressing and worrying about every decision I make for him. “Should I let him have his pacifier this much?” “Should I feed him less?” “Are we holding him too much?” “Should we have taken him out last night?” I could go on….
– It is amazing how little sleep the human body is capable of functioning under! Although, sleep is getting a lot better. Trey is sleeping about 4.5 hours at night. Sleep is never the same after having a baby. I find I am always listening for him.
– My sister -in-law has a quote on her blog that says, “Making the decision to have a child-it’s momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.” SO TRUE! My heart will never be the same.
– Real honesty here… the hardest thing for me (and this may sound lame) is figuring out who I am again. It is so easy to look at other moms and think “I need to be like that… that is what a ‘mom’ looks like”. But the thing is, these wonderful ladies are not me…. I am the way I am for a reason. But I don’t know how that translates into motherhood… yes I know “be yourself”…. but its different… becoming a mom changes you.
So there it is… some random thoughts from a new mom : ) Know I write pretty candidly on my blog not to have my personal thoughts and struggles displayed all over the internet but in hopes to encourage others. My blog is just what it is titled… “writing about the journey”. In my journey with God sometimes I learn things and other times I just have questions and unresolved thoughts. I think that is okay. So if you are there too… know you are not alone : )