Baby WisePosted: May 26, 2009
I have been wanting to blog about this for awhile…
When I was pregnant a friend introduced me to the book “BabyWise”. It was actually difficult and overwhelming for me to read while I was pregnant. The more I read the more I realized I didn’t know. We did decided we were going to put Trey on a schedule and would figure out the details when they came.
We brought Trey home from the hospital and put him on a 3 hour schedule and also put him straight in crib (no pack and play in our room). I think I went a little crazy with the whole babywise thing! If I could go back I would have calmed it down a notch! : ) But, Trey was sleeping through the night at 6 weeks… so I don’t know.
Anyway, as I mentioned before life happened and his night schedule got a little messed up. He was no longer sleeping through the night and such. After we moved to Savannah I was able to get him on an awesome daytime schedule! We are still tweaking his night time sleep but overall he does well.
So, although I can’t believe it, we are almost to the end of our first year! I was thinking about the Babywise issue and how stressed I was about all the details of that stuff this time last year and thinking I would write a “review” or rather I will list positive and negative things…..
– We have a schedule! I love schedules! Mark and I also do better when everyday has some set routine…. Trey is no exception.
– In the beginning I was recovering from a C-section and was already worn out. With Trey on some sort of a feeding schedule I was able to rest and not be worn out from on-demand feeding.
– We had a great night time routine and Trey always goes down well.
– Trey knows what to expect as far as naps and bedtime go.
– Trey ate well
– I had a hard time enjoying those first couple of months. I got really caught up in what Trey was “supposed to do”.
– I was very stressed out in the beginning.
Baby Wise works great for our family. I have come off it a little. I use it like a guide. When we are having problems I check out the book. I have learned over the last year to take all the parenting advice “with a grain of salt”. I take it in and process it the best way that fits for us. I have learned to be very flexible (which is not a product of Babywise). I want Trey to have structure and routine but also freedom for us to enjoy him. He does not have set hourly naps (ie always napping from 8:30- 10) but he always has a morning and afternoon nap and they are usually around the same time but not always. So like I said Baby Wise is a guideline for us : )
Anyway if you are interested there is a great blog I found for Baby Wise moms here.